Valence is a tool designed to make your life easier when it comes to building data integrations with Salesforce. We’re happy to get you started with it.
The first thing you should understand is that Valence installs into a single Salesforce org and does all of its magic from inside that org. There is no external middleware server involved, which means data moves directly between your Salesforce instance and whatever system you want to exchange information with.
We’ve designed Valence to be intuitive for admins to use, and easy to extend when custom functionality is needed.
Start here to develop a basic understanding of the component parts of the Valence engine.
- Overview — Learn about the basic building blocks of Valence and how data movement happens.
- Metadata Files — Learn how Valence configurations can be moved between Salesforce environments.
- External Systems — Read about what you can connect to and how the connection is made.
- Delta Sync — Understand how Valence fetches records based on time since the last fetch.
- Testing Mode — Learn about doing test runs that don’t change your target system.
- Handling Errors — How does Valence help you when things go awry?
- Invoking Valence — What are ways to start Link runs other than scheduling?
Once you’re comfortable with the basics, dig into some wonky stuff with our advanced topics.
Thinking about writing your own Adapter or Filter extension to add custom functionality to Valence?
- Extensions — Learn the basics of how Valence Extensions are defined and assembled.
- Property Path — Reading from and writing to records.
- Configurability — Get comfortable with how to make your Extension user-configurable within the Valence UI.
- Configuration Structure — Using a specialized structure to let Valence build configuration forms for you.
- Configuration Component — Using your own Lightning component to let Users configure your extension.
- Writing Test Coverage — Get instructions and see examples for writing Apex test coverage for Extensions.
Go Deeper on Each Extension Type¶
We have guides to help you understand certain topics in more detail:
- Sending Realtime Records To Salesforce
- How to Design a Complementary Valence API
- Using Valence Between Two Salesforce Orgs (aka Salesforce to Salesforce)
- How To Stop Infinite Loops In Bidirectional Syncs
- Building a Configurable Filter that Ignores Records Based on User-selected Cutoff Date